- 4 carrots, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 long strips lemon zest
- 4 sprigs fresh dill, plus 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (1 1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup small pasta, such as pastina
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 bunch fresh spinach, stemmed
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- Lemon wedges and crusty bread, for serving (optional)
- Combine the carrots, lemon zest, dill sprigs, olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker. Season the chicken with salt and add to the cooker. Add the broth and 4 cups water, cover and cook on low, about 8 hours
- About 20 minutes before serving, add the pasta to the slow cooker, cover and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir the chopped dill, peas and spinach into the soup and cover until the spinach wilts, about 2 minutes. Stir to break up the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and crumble the feta on top. Serve with lemon and bread, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 609; Fat 15 g (Saturated 4 g); Cholesterol 109 mg; Sodium 967 mg; Carbohydrate 60 g; Fiber 7 g; Protein 61 g
What would you like to see on here? Or what’s your favorite food?
But you don’t want to make a meal and you just want something fast? Or do you have kids and they get hungry after being out all day long?
Here are 5 healthy snacks you can make before bed!!
1) Plan a bedtime snack 45 minutes - 1 hour before bedtime. This way you will make sure the food has time to settle, and there is ample time to brush their teeth!
2) A good bedtime snack should have a carbohydrate and a protein. The carbohydrate will help boost serotonin production, and the protein will help keep them full.
3) You should keep the snack small. This isn’t another meal, just a snack to tide them over and help get them to sleep.
4) Only give them a snack if they are hungry, not out of habit.
Whole Grain Crackers and Cheese
Apples and Peanut Butter
Yogurt Cheese on English Muffin
Cottage Cheese and Fruit
Cucumber Rounds with Greek Yogurt
Taken from Super Healthy Kids
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 jar (24 ounces) Prego® Veggie Smart® Chunky & Savory Italian Sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 3 cups penne pasta, cooked and drained (about 4 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 10 minutes or until well browned on both sides. Remove the chicken from the skillet.
- Stir the sauce and vinegar in the skillet and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the basil. Return the chicken to the skillet. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Slice the chicken. Serve the chicken and sauce over the penne. Sprinkle with the cheese.
I am back! I am so sorry to have left you hanging for over a year! Life gets in the way sometimes but I am sure you survived somehow :P But be prepared to get yummy and awesome recipies from me!!! It feels so good to be back!!!!! I love you all and hope you haven’t forgotten about me!