Serves 4 to 6
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 2 lb. baking potatoes, peeled and grated
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and grated
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Sour cream for serving (optional)
- Preheat an oven to 375°F. Oil a shallow 9-inch round baking dish or pie dish with 1 tsp. of the olive oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the onion, potatoes, apples, eggs and 2 Tbs. of the oil and stir to mix. Sprinkle with the baking powder, season with salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly. Transfer the potato mixture to the prepared baking dish, spreading the mixture evenly. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tsp. oil.
- Bake the kugel until the top and sides are golden brown, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Serve hot or warm with sour cream on the side.